Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Time to Wrench Away



I love being a Catholic and I believe in the presence and power of the Holy Spirit in the Holy Catholic Church. I also believe that God continues to provide his people with diverse and ample opportunities to continue to deepen their relationship with him. Just two months ago Christians all over the world celebrated the birth of Jesus. Christmas is a fresh opportunity to welcome Jesus into our hearts where he truly belongs. Ash Wednesday is the day Christians all over the world begin a forty day journey of repentance and conversion. I am particularly grateful that the church is helping me draw close to God through these various channels of grace. The church's liturgical seasons are well ordered to help us reflect on Jesus. Personally with eagerness and expectancy I watched and waited for Jesus to come at Christmas. And because I was prepared, I welcomed and accepted him as God’s gift of love to me. I also gladly received and shared his gifts of joy and peace with all those around me. We are all called to do the same so that we all will continue to spread the aroma of Christ. Just like Advent, lent is another season of grace when Christ through his church is inviting me to reflect on the life, suffering and death of Jesus.

Whenever I think of lent, I am immediately reminded of what Jesus endured for my sake. How he was sometimes misunderstood by some of his disciples, how he endured taunts and criticism by the Scribes and Pharisees and how the chief priests connived and killed him. They thought that killing Jesus would rid them of him, but of course they were wrong. I realized that even today many people still experience the things that Jesus went through - even death. Only four days ago, the world gasped in horror as ISIS released a video showing the brutal murder of 21 christian Egyptian Copts.


The ashes we received on our foreheads today (either directly in church or symbolically by reason of mortal nature as dust and ashes) is a reminder that Lent is a time to wrench away from everything that takes the place of God in our lives. A friend once asked me why Catholics have to wait until Lent to repent from sin. I quickly reminded him that in reality Catholics actually practice constant return to God, especially through the Sacrament of reconciliation which is administered as needed. Moreover, I also added that perhaps, in her divine wisdom, the Holy Spirit, through the Holy Catholic Church has determined that there are people who are more comfortable with structure. For such ones, lent is a precious time. Think about those who come to church only once a year at Christmas or Easter. 

Until his death Jesus continued to perform miracles in spite of all the contradictions he encountered. While I continue to work out my salvation with fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12), this lent is my time to lift my worries, concerns and sins to God. More than that, it is a wonderful opportunity for me to invite Jesus to continue to use me to heal, restore and save souls. In John 5:17 Jesus himself said: "My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working" During this lent and always, may we continue to reflect God's love and compassion. 









No comments:

Post a Comment