Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Time out to Time In




Time out to Time In

Silence is Life
“Please hold your breath for a minute” said my physician during my routine checkup visit two weeks ago. I know that she needed my cooperation to get accurate results. Similarly, I did everything I was told, or so I thought, last month when I visited my dentist. But we later discovered that one of the X-rays had to be repeated because it was blurred. I was not very still.  Maybe some of us have had such experience as well?


The story of our existence seems to revolve around sleep and silence. We need to sleep to survive and function on a daily basis and when life is done, in sleep we surrender in death. The scientific study of the nervous system or oneirology has thrown more light about what happens to us whenever we are asleep. For example we dream only during the phase called Rapid Eye Movement (REM) or paradoxical sleep. Furthermore, REM is important for brain development in infants. Adults need REM for the consolidation of special or procedural memories. In other words, we cannot develop and function normally in life without quietness, stillness or sleep. However REM sleep occurs only when most of our muscles are “paralyzed” in sleep. Think about all the great things that happen when we are still, silent.

Many of the world’s greatest inventors, writers, artists received their inspirations when they were in touch with themselves. For example, there is Albert Einstein one of the best known scientist and intellectuals of all of times. Albert was a theoretical physicist, philosopher and author, widely regarded as one of the fathers of modern physics.



In his word, Einstein said: “Although I have a regular work schedule, I take time to go for long walks on the beach so that I can listen to what is going on inside my head. If my work isn’t going well, I lie down in the middle of a workday and gaze at the ceiling while I listen and visualize what goes on in my imagination”

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.



Mozart was one of the world’s prolific and influential composers of the Classical music who has over 600 works accredited to him. His diverse talents includes the pinnacles of symphonic, concertante, chamber, piano, operatic, and choral music. When asked how he did it, Mozart said: “When I am, as it were, completely myself, entirely alone, and of good cheer–say, traveling in a carriage or walking after a good meal or during the night when I cannot sleep–it is on such occasions that my ideas flow best and most abundantly.”

Blessed Jean Martin Moye


The more I reflect on the virtue of silence and reliance on God, the more I am full of admiration for our beloved father and founder Blessed Jean Martin Moye. In silence, Father Moye learned to contemplate the mystery of Providence and throughout his life, actively taught, lived, and preached that absolute dependence on God is the Christian’s greatest act of faith. Father Moye’s short amazing life was filled with relentless encouragement to the sisters. He admonished them to spear nothing for it is in losing all that we can truly find God. “Adore the lord in all its designs” said Father Moye (Directory page 79). In silence, the designs of God become clearer.

Are we lost, confused or beclouded? Is life a constant attempt to fulfill immediate gratification(s)? acquire fame or comfort? when does it end? Have you incurred so much debt that life has become an endless cycle of paying bills and incurring new debts? Perhaps it is time to quit the boasting, the pounding of chests about all our material victories. Perhaps it is time to learn to study who we truly are. Self-alertness, awareness is attained only when we are in touch with our inner selves. We cannot be that in touch without practice. Creativity and new insights flourishes in solitude. It is only in quietness that we can hear our thoughts, reach deep within ourselves and focus. Let us return to our cores. Those who approach life and especially life’s challenges with calm are apt to get better results than those who are not introspective.  Most importantly, such people will realize that God is their soul’s only truest need. Let us return to God, especially as lent is around the corner 

                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment