Friday, March 6, 2015

Actions of Providence






“I have decided to follow Jesus”
“I have decided to follow Jesus”
“I have decided to follow Jesus”
“No turning back, no turning back”

This is one of my favorite songs.

At some point in our lives we just have to make some radical decisions. I am humming my decision to follow Jesus because of my conviction that God is truly in control. At this point of my life, all I desire is to let God continue to be God as he has always been. I declare my all for God because it is up to me to continue to invite him as well as surrender myself to him again and again. This way, I believe that my relationship with God will be constantly renewed, for his mercy is constantly new.   

Every day, from the time I open my eyes at dawn to the time they are closed in sleep at night, and all through the day, I always want to remind myself that I am still here because of God’s benevolence. I may not understand all of it, but I am not worried. Like St. Paul, I believe that all things work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28.

While God is at work in us, there are things that depend on us. Just as we rely on God to continue to accomplish his purpose in our lives, God is counting on us to be instruments of his Providence. Everyone one of us, without exception, has something to offer another person out there. It could be a smile, a cheerful greeting, a comforting touch, a listening ear, a compassionate heart, making monetary donation, offering our time in volunteer services, impacting knowledge, fervent prayer, lending voices for just causes or visiting the lonely or neglected.

As we enter the third week of lent, let us endeavor to remind ourselves that God is for and with us in the same measure we exert ourselves for others. Whenever we neglect an opportunity to act in love, we are stifling God’s Providential actions in the world. I pray that our daily deliberate efforts to carry out little acts of love may indeed please God who has commissioned us to be his hands, feet, and voices.  


No comments:

Post a Comment